Learn the ins and outs of trademark adoption, clearance, protection and practice.
U.S. Trademark Basics Live Webcast
Thursday, February 17
12:00 pm–2:00 pm EST
Registration is now closed.
- The distinction between trademarks/trade dress and copyrights/patents.
- The development of traditional trademarks and the evolution of modern brands.
- The essentials of basic trademark concepts such as goodwill, likelihood of confusion, and distinctiveness.
- Practical tips on the proper use of trademarks and their protection from becoming a generic term.
Searching, Clearing and Registering Trademarks:
- Step-by-step methods for clearing proposed marks.
- Efficient trademark searches using the latest online searching tools.
- U.S. federal trademark registrations versus individual state registrations.
- Tips on reviewing and preparation of a trademark application.
Policing and Enforcement of Trademark Rights:
- Strategies for the effective use of watch services, Internet searching, effective monitoring of trademark rights and private investigators.
- Pros and cons of federal and state litigation; the advantage of ICANN (the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) and the effective use of proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB).
Counseling and Transactional Issues:
- Overview of the due diligence process, including identifying ownership of domain names, determining the existence of pirated domain names and one letter off infringers, valuing trademarks and perfecting the trademark assignment by appropriate recordation of the assignment.
- Most relevant provisions of a trademark license.
Get more out of the course and download a copy of its Powerpoint slides from our resource section. Use these slides as a guide to the course discussions and for recording notes during the program.
Member: US $195
Non-member: US $295
After completion of the program, you must answer a series of questions in order to access a certificate of completion. Please note that CLE approval for webcasts varies among states. For CLE questions, contact the INTA CLE coordinator at email@example.com. If you are unable to participate in the live webcast, you may register for the archived program that will be available February 18.