Learn the ins and outs of trademark adoption, clearance, protection and practice.
U.S. Trademark Basics Webcast
Available through December 31
Duration: Two hours
- The distinction between trademarks/trade dress and copyrights/patents
- The development of traditional trademarks and the evolution of modern brands
- The essentials of basic trademark concepts such as goodwill, likelihood of confusion, and distinctiveness
- Practical tips on the proper use of trademarks and their protection from becoming a generic term
Searching, Clearing and Registering Trademarks:
- Step-by-step methods for clearing proposed marks
- Efficient trademark searches using the latest online searching tools
- U.S. federal trademark registrations versus individual state registrations
- Tips on reviewing and preparation of a trademark applicatio.
Policing and Enforcement of Trademark Rights:
- Strategies for the effective use of watch services, Internet searching, effective monitoring of trademark rights and private investigators
- Pros and cons of federal and state litigation; the advantage of ICANN (the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) and the effective use of proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB)
Counseling and Transactional Issues:
Get more out of the course. Download a copy of its Powerpoint slides from the resource section. Use these slides as a guide to course discussions and for recording notes during the program.
- Overview of the due diligence process, including identifying ownership of domain names, determining the existence of pirated domain names and one letter off infringers, valuing trademarks and perfecting the trademark assignment by appropriate recordation of the assignment
- Most relevant provisions of a trademark license
Member: US $195
Non-member: US $295
Special INTA member discount
When you register five or more persons at your organization's location, you'll receive a group discount of US $95 per person. All individuals in the group must be registered at the same time. This discount is available only to INTA members. To register at the group discount contact Stacey Sutton, Senior Member Services Representative at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that CLE approval for webcasts varies among states. For CLE questions, contact the INTA CLE coordinator at email@example.com.