The Leadership Meeting is a wonderful way to connect with our INTA colleagues from around the world, and it also provides us the opportunity to conduct important Association business. At the Annual Meeting of Members, where the Regular Members of the Association elect members of the Board of Directors for the upcoming year, the following new Directors were elected:
- Carsten Albrecht, FPS Fritze Wicke Seelig (Germany)
- Daretia Austin, AT&T Services, Inc. (USA)
- Louis Chan, Procter & Gamble Asia (Singapore)
- Barry Gerber, Philip Morris International Management SA (Switzerland)
- Michael Graham, Expedia, Inc. (USA)
- Mona Lee, Hanol Law Offices (South Korea)
- Pamela Mallari, Mars, Inc. (USA)
- Paul McGrady, Winston & Strawn LLP (USA)
- Philippa McLeod, Rolls-Royce plc (UK)
- Judy McCool, HBO (USA)
- Maria Cecilia Romoleroux, CORRALROSALES (Ecuador)
- Christopher Turk, The H.D. Lee Company Inc. (USA)
Then, at the Board of Directors meeting, the Board elected the officers for 2017:
- President – Joseph Ferretti, PepsiCo, Inc./Frito-Lay, Inc. (USA)
- President Elect – Tish Berard, Hearts On Fire Company LLC (USA)
- Vice President– David Lossignol, Sandoz International GmbH (Germany)
- Vice President – Ayala Deutsch, NBA Properties, Inc. (USA)
- Treasurer – Tiki Dare, Oracle Corporation (USA)
- Secretary – Zeeger Vink, Maus Frères (France)
- Counsel – Maury Tepper, Tepper & Eyster, PLLC (USA)
Finally, because Zeeger Vink was elected as Secretary and his current Board term ends in December 2017, the Board elected Cecilia Emanuelson from Inter IKEA Holding Services S.A. (Belgium) to fill the unexpired Board Term of Zeeger Vink through December 2017 as of January 1, 2017.
In other important business, the Board elected the 2017 Board Committees and approved the 2017 budget.
The Board also received the final report of the Presidential Task Force on the Role and Position of In-House Trademark Professionals, which was commissioned to more closely examine the profile of in-house professionals who manage and protect brands, the level of influence in-house trademark practitioners have in their companies, and their career opportunities. Other reports included updates on INTA’s activities in China & Asia-Pacific, Europe, India, and Washington, DC, as well as an update from the Brands & Innovation Committee on their working definitions of “brands” and “innovation” that will inform the work of this Committee.
A Resolution put forth by the International Design Harmonization Subcommittee of the Designs Committee was approved that (1) encourages all countries and intergovernmental organizations to accede to the Hague Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Industrial Designs; and (2) urges new members of the Hague System to enact implementing legislation for the registration and enforcement of design rights.
Lastly, we had an in-depth of discussion on the IANA transition to ICANN.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Board members who will conclude their Board service at the end of 2016:
- Lori Ball, Molson Coors Canada (Canada)
- Susan Brady Blasco, Muncy, Geissler, Olds & Lowe, PLLC (USA)
- Brian Brokate, Gibney Anthony & Flaherty (USA)
- Geri Lynn Elias, Kate Spade & Company (USA)
- Zhen (Katie) Feng, Hogan Lovells (Shanghai) IP Service Co. Ltd. (China)
- Jomarie Fredericks, Rotary International (USA)
- Sheila Henderson, Richemont International Limited (UK)
- Cathy Lueders, MasterCard International Incorporated (USA)
- David McDonald, Johnson & Johnson (USA)
- Rick McMurtry, Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. (USA)
- Elizabeth Pearce, American International Group, Inc. (USA)
- Karin Sandberg, Harmsen Utescher (Germany)
Finally, I would like to thank all of the dedicated volunteers of INTA that contribute to the success of the 2016 Leadership Meeting!