Join us for a riveting discussion on the Business Behind the Law: Perspectives from In-House Counsel and Outside Counsel.
The post-recession economic climate has created a seismic shift in the practice of law. Trademark practitioners acting as both in-house counsel and outside counsel have felt the effects of these changes. In-house counsel are under more pressure than ever to cut costs, and law firms need to adjust to this reality in order to successfully compete in today’s market.
The purpose of this Roundtable is to explore some of the most salient issues being faced by in-house and outside counsel right now. We will discuss hot-button topics such as budgeting for trademark prosecution, counseling and litigation, and using alternative fee arrangements to negotiate win-win solutions for both parties. We will also discuss best practices on project management issues, and exchange ideas on how to improve communications between in-house and outside counsel.
Topics to be discussed:
- Factors in deciding to retain outside counsel.
- Pressures and priorities faced by in-house counsel and outside counsel.
- Factors to consider is setting budgets.
- Pros and cons of alternative fee arrangements.
- Best practices in effective project management.
- Do’s and don’ts on billing issues.
- Reasons why in-house counsel replaces outside counsel
Note: Unless otherwise stated, roundtables are held from 12:00 pm–2:00 pm. Check your location for more details. Please bring photo ID to all roundtables in order to enter the building.