I am proud to report that our first Leadership Meeting outside of the United States was a great success, with over 1,100 attendees coming together in Panama City, Panama. While the meeting was not without some challenges, we were able to make important strides in support of INTA’s 2014 – 2017 Strategic Plan, especially with respect to international expansion as we had the opportunity to meet with government officials in Panama, signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Supreme Court of Panama, and visited with potential members from Latin America.
While the Leadership Meeting is a wonderful way to connect with our INTA colleagues from around the world, it also provides us the opportunity to conduct important Association business. At the Annual Meeting of Members, where the Regular Members of the Association elect members of the Board of Directors for the upcoming year, the following new Directors were elected:
- Susie Arnesen, Sandel, Loje & Partnere (Denmark)
- Elisabeth Bradley, Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (USA)
- Peter Chalk, Ashurst (Australia)
- Gerardo Munoz de Cote, Televisa, S.A. de C.V. (Mexico)
- Junghoon Kenneth Oh, LG Display Co., Ltd. (S. Korea)
- Melissa Rotunno, Blue Cross & Blue Shield Association (USA)
- Shunji Sato, TMI Associates (Japan)
- Hemant Singh, Inttl Advocare (India)
- Vanni Volpi, GUCCI (Italy)
Then, at the Board of Directors meeting, the Board elected the officers for 2016:
- President – Ronald van Tuijl, JT International S.A. (Switzerland)
- President Elect – Joseph Ferretti, PepsiCo, Inc./Frito-Lay, Inc. (USA)
- Vice President– Tish Berard, Hearts On Fire Company LLC (USA)
- Vice President – David Lossignol, Novartis Pharma AG (Switzerland)
- Treasurer – Ayala Deutsch, NBA Properties, Inc. (USA)
- Secretary – Tiki Dare, Oracle Corporation (USA)
- Counsel – Maury Tepper, Tepper & Eyster, PLLC (USA)
In other important business, the Board elected the 2016 Board Committees and approved the 2016 budget. The Board also received the interim report of the Presidential Task Force on Governance Review, which is reviewing INTA’s bylaws and creating a Code of Policies in order to ensure that the bylaws are evolving with the Association and are following best practices. The final draft of the bylaws will be available in the first quarter of 2016.
Other reports included updates on INTA’s activities in India, China & Asia-Pacific, Europe, and Washington, DC. There were also reports from INTA CEO Etienne Sanz de Acedo and members of the INTA staff on the progress made on the Implementation Plan of the Strategic Plan, including a communications and legal resources strategy.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the Board members who will conclude their Board service at the end of 2015:
- Gustavo Giay, Marval, O'Farrell & Mairal, (Argentina)
- Shwetasree Majumder, Fidus Law Chambers (India)
- Dana Northcott, Amazon.com, Inc. (USA)
- Purvi Patel, Haynes and Boone, LLP (USA)
- David Stone, Simmons & Simmons LLP (UK)
- Tiffany Trunko, Pfizer Inc. (USA)
- and David Fleming, Brinks Gilson & Lione (USA), as Counsel
Finally, I would like to thank all of the dedicated volunteers of INTA that made the 2015 Leadership Meeting such a success!